Tarsier

Tarsier

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Keep On Keepin On...


So it finally happened. I ate dog. Unknowingly at first enjoying a rather stringy and chewy jerky like tasting meat, when the little sis starts talking about our “askal ulam” or meal of dog. I asked host mom if it really was dog that we were eating, and she just chuckled and smiled…which gave me the answer. Just hope it wasn’t any of my neighbors! I would have to agree with Daniel in that it tastes like barbecue sauce and sadness. The cat of the house had kittens a few days ago…despite my intense negative feelings towards cats (which have strengthened since being here and hearing their mating/fighting hellish screeches outside my door every night), these little buggers are pretty cute, even with their annoying constant squeaking. Besides animals, I have eaten such delicious mangos, papayas, jackfruit, rambuton, lanzones and other exotic fruits… such a Philippines perk. One of the other teachers surprised me today with a bundle of mangosteens just for me, my absolute favorite fruit! Hopefully the spoiling will stop soon though, as I stop being regarded as a guest and become one of the community! Everyone grows all sorts of things in their yards around here, and they sell and trade with one another, which is pretty cool to see people still essentially living off their land. I keep meeting more and more family members, I swear the majority of this town is related. I got asked to be a godmother a few days ago for a brand new 1-week old baby boy! I am so flattered, but it basically just means I will look out for the tot while I am around here. The “Ate Allie” time is getting a little out of control (once again ate = big sister and pronounced kinda like aunty), the girls are constantly yelling “Ate Allie, Ate Allie” and grabbing all over me, I loved it at first, but it does get pretty exhausting. Little chubby Mariz is so cute but farts probably 8% of the day. She also holds my hand in a strangely intimate way. She is 5 and always trying to hold my hand and when she does, she caresses the inside of my palm with her thumb, I still don’t know how I feel about this, a little weird but actually quite comforting. Then Nicole is 7, she is just like I was at that age, a clever and sneaky adventurous tomboy, except being afraid of frogs when I was obsessed with them. The girls helped me hand wash all my clothes last weekend, but not until after putting my dirty underwear on their heads and running around…don’t know what more to say about that… We also had an epic and sweaty dance party to Petey Pablo rap in my nipa hut afterwards. We lose electricity most full days on the weekends and a lot randomly for a few hours, but it is kind of a nice reality check as to imagining what peace corps was like without such easy communication to the outside world and gets me to spend more quality family time. Although, it really makes this experience easier being able to still see and speak to all the people I love, even if it is only virtual.
My sissies, Nicole and Mariz
I guess I have to mention my minor breakdown from the other day…I had a very rough and exhausting day at school, one of the teachers made me stand up in front of his class, then proceeded to ask me why American students are all so much better and smarter than Filipinos…he was serious and said this in front of his whole class. He was just trying to motivate I am sure, but it was not pleasant for me. I was quite stunned and did not know how to respond, so I stuttered a little and tried to describe how they are not at all and the systems of education are so different…but I might have just crashed and burned. This is an annoyance I have seen many times here actually, the teachers insulting and degrading students right indirectly but in front of them… Anyways, I go home already grumpy from that, being stared at all day, English teachers only speaking in Cebuano so I have no idea what is going on, and literally having bugs crawling on me every second of the day and more mosquito bites than I can count, and all I wanted to do was to wallow in my sorrows in the privacy of my hut. Also, the one thing here I take comfort in is my little bed because it is the one semi clean place, since I bathe at night before hopping in, and I have make shifted the mosquito net design to my best ability to keep out intruding bugs and rodents. So, I am trying to get over my slump by eating cookies of course and watching some Always Sunny. Seconds after sitting down, the girls bust in with their boisterous shouts of “Ate Allie, Ate Allie” and pounce on me with their sweaty day stink. Within another 2 seconds they have destroyed my intricate mosquito net placement, jumped into my freshly washed sheets with their muddy feet and dripping sweat and covered themselves playing around screeching and bouncing around under the sheets. I almost cried… I guess it sounds snobby writing this now and does not seem that bad, but at the moment it felt like everything was crashing down and I was miserable. Luckily, I skyped with my Dad and talked it out, then whined and vented to Daniel. It is so nice that we still get to talk every day, thanks heavens for the wonders of Skype. Another funny thing…this same night was the first time I actually saw a giant spider here in Dauin, and guess where I spotted it? INSIDE my mosquito net on the netting. GRRRRR. Also, one last annoyance while I am having my pity party……flies everywhere. If there is ever a smidgen of food or drink around hundreds of flies swarm in and attack. I ate outside with the fam the other day and wanted to heave, it was impossible to count how many flies were on everything and everybody…UGHHH such an unpleasant experience. Imagine how you hate it when one fly lands and crawls on you….then imagine that times 100, not even exaggerating. They especially like open wounds…YUCKY.

I fell asleep on my desk during lunch today…for a good 45 minutes. I woke up to my partner teacher asleep at her desk right next to me. It was a very funny and cute moment, but I later learned that it is fairly common for teachers to nap during lunch since they are going going going from 7AM to 5PM at school every day, not to mention taking care of their own children at home for all of the other time. I was invited to Kindergarten Day at the Elementary school next door this week. It was so so cute to see all of these adorable little people singing and dancing. I was also spoiled once again with mounds of food as a guest and got to give a speech and award the prizes. I woke up early last weekend to see the sunrise over the beach, and after, I went snorkeling for almost 3 hours and saw neon starfish, eels, and so many unique fishys. That is definitely what I look forward to every week and am so so blessed to have a wonderful reef so close and all to myself.
Me in the top middle of Filipina Girl Scouts...no cookies :(
Kindergarten Day, of course SEAHORSES were the best
There was an earthquake yesterday. The epicenter was in Mindanao, so I was actually the only Peace Corps volunteer who felt it. It was rather frightening actually feeling the building slightly shake and seeing all of the students in panic rushing into the courtyard. They have been slightly scarred from a bad earthquake last year when a few homes got destroyed. Our school was evacuated shortly after this one. It left a few cracks in the walls, and once I got home, I saw my floor had been cut in half with a giant crack! I was not really afraid afterwards, but all I could think about were my friends who lost their lives in the CTV building and others who were forever affected by the Christchurch earthquake last year. I hadn’t thought about that tragedy in a while, and it left me in a funk after. Just thinking about how short life actually is, and for a moment I thought what in the world was I doing here so far away from my family who I care about the most? I guess I still think that, but I can only hope to somehow make a small difference here to make it all worth it. I was so lucky to be born into all of the freedoms and privileges of being an upper/middle class white American with an overly loving family…the majority of the world is not so lucky.... I joined Peace Corps partly because I felt I owed it in debt to live that other life for a while…little did I know I would end up in such a beautifully complicated country with more amazing families and being treated like royalty. It actually is not at all what I signed up for…anyways that is going off a whole different tangent.
The CRACK
On a positive note, I was nominated by my regional manager to become a peace corps “Warden.” I do not really know what this entails, but I know it gets me a free trip to Manila in two weeks for the training. I was initially bummed because this training falls on the same weekend of the “Masskara” festival in Bacolod. All of the volunteers on the giant island of Negros have been planning to meet up at this festival because it is the biggest one of the year and famous for all of the street dancing, thousands of masked participants, and floats, a Filipino Mardi Gras you could say. So, after initially freaking out, Daniel and I figured out he would meet me in Manila on the 20th when I am done with training, and we will fly together to Bacolod to see everyone and catch the biggest night and majority of the festival. I am so so excited for this, especially since Hillary, Chris, Karla, and so many more awesome peace corps peeps will be there, and we all get to stay together at another volunteer’s school, haha. I am sure there will be many blunders that ripple effect from this whole reunion adventure. Stay tuned! I also got to meet up with the 4 Negros Oriental crew and a couple of the 269 group volunteers for the day in Dumaguete (they all traveled over 2 hours, when I just hop on a jeep for 30 minutes!) This was a wonderful day full of bitching about Peace Corps staff, chika chika, complaining about our schools, bugs, and food, and just enjoying speaking normal English again for a day. The next day was even more fun because I went to Dumaguete again but with my new Filipino friends! There is a group of about 12 people in their 20s who have adopted me into their social circle. Most of them are studying engineering or medicine at university in Duma, 9 guys 3 girls, but still live with their families very close all around me! They are hilarious, superbly sarcastic, speak English fairly well, love pranks and American pop culture. However, it does seem a bit that their maturity level is below the American 20 something standard, but this is definitely true for all Filipino youth as I mentioned before. It might have something to do with the 90% Roman Catholicism and sheltered/innocent upbringing culture.

I am not sure if I have mentioned it before, but every time I get into a vehicle here, I think I might die. There are absolutely no traffic rules and it is a lot of playing chicken while passing trikes, animals, motorbikes, and children. My heart actually stops a few times each journey. Jazstein, one of my better friends here who literally lives 2 palm trees away, has his own truck which is their primary means of transport. When we all go to Duma together, 6 of us sit inside the truck, then 7 ride in the bed, this alone would be scary without the standards of Filipino driving. I truly am amazed no one has flown out yet… and dear Jesus I hope everyone makes it to a ripe old age without losing a limb from a giant passing bus who all think they own the road as well. Anywaysss, It was “World Teachers Day” last Friday. This consisted of a 4-hour long presentation of cute appreciation speeches and performances by students. Of course the phenomenon of “Gangnam Style” was danced out. If you don’t follow Korean pop culture or don’t get out much, check it out here. All on the rage in the pines and I hear all over the world. The last presentation of the 4th year oldest student was a funny talk show, and who was there surprise guest? Me…who was also surprised. I was having another usual zone out, when they were introducing the guest, which pretty much was a student reading my resume. Blahhh put on the spot in front of 2000 people once again! They blasted gangnam style while I was walking towards the stage, and everyone freaked out with giggles and cheers when I started doing the dance. I think I have gotten over my shyness being here because shy wouldn’t survive…anyways, they asked me silly questions about America and boyfriends, and hopefully I kept them entertained. Now it is just school school bugs school fishes school until MASSKARA. Check it.
Mangosteen Massacre

No comments:

Post a Comment