Tarsier

Tarsier

Sunday, July 29, 2012

First Taste of BALUT

It finally happened today...the long awaited horror. The Balut and I met face to face. For those of you who do not yet know, allow me to enlighten you. Balut is a Filipino delicacy that consists of an unborn duck fetus or fertilized duck embryo to be politically correct. Popularly believed to be an aphrodisiac, it is slurped up right out of the shell, soggy feathers, eyes, beak, and all. I knew it would happen eventually, and just so happened I was invited over to my neighbors to try it. The hosts affectionately call it a “chicken abortion.” Two other PC volunteers were brave enough to partake, 82 year-old Carl, and my good friend, Hillary. We made quite a spectacle and many a photos were taken, but it actually was not as bad as it sounds. I have eaten my fair share of strange things, but this was the strangest, even though it tastes mostly like a hard-boiled egg…besides the slight crunch of things I choose not to thing about. They are sold on the street all over the place, but it is not likely I will be eating another soon.

BALUT
Proof of Balut Ingestion


Hillary and Carl share experience with me



























On a more serious note, it is getting pretty rough out here. I know this blog is joyous, but there have definitely been hard times out here. It is not easy at all living so close to extreme poverty. Street kids come up to me every day begging for money, beautiful big brown eyes, dangerously skinny, and rags for clothes. If you give one something, you will have dozens running after you tugging at you and crying. There is no possible way to help them all, so I just have to ignore them like everyone else, and it is the hardest thing ever to do. Especially when they are sleeping outside right down the street. Starving and diseased dogs are everywhere you look, I saw my first dead one today being eaten up by insects. Sooo many smells and never ending stares gets annoying (to think I actually thought I would blend in here), but it is indeed a fascinating place. Hot hot hot, and it is never possible to dry here due to humidity, so there is a constant film of sweaty stickiness that returns the second dry yourself off after a “tabo” cooling bucket bath. The hottest place by far is my school, Subic High, since almost 70 students are packed into an American size classroom, piled on top of another sharing desks with no air con and only a single fan. I have no idea how anyone learns in this environment, but hopefully I figure it out since my first day of actual teaching is tomorrow. Another thing, toilet paper is like gold here, Filipinos have there own system for potty that I will not go into quite yet, but basically, no once uses toilet paper here, so we have to carry our own around with us at all times. Privacy is also non-existent here, but I am getting use to that. I am also feeling very glum now because one of my best friends here went home to the states yesterday. We are getting weeded out here I suppose. So enough with the downers, it is classic Peace Corps life, but even in a place that appears to be struggling so, I have met the most friendly, curious, and hospitable people of my life, and it has not even been one month! It has been amazing becoming part of a 20 + family who has lived in the same place since birth. My nanay Alma is teaching me how to hand scrub/wash all of my sweaty clothes tomorrow! Also, my tita Evelyn helped me make dinner last night, stuffed whole “bangus” milkfish with onions and tomatoes and pork wonton thingys. Lots of work, but now I can make pork siomai from scratch!

I also am just getting over a throat infection, but PC has pumped me full of antibiotics. We have had such a jam-packed schedule, and I have never been so overwhelmed and run down in my life. I am quite physically and mentally drained, so for the first time since getting here, I will get to sleep in past 5 AM since tomorrow is Sunday/rest/church day, YAYYY! I have lost quite a bit of weight since leaving the states, probably due to sickness, different food, walk/sprinting everywhere, sweating everything out, and no more weekly Oreo Cakesters or burritos (SHOUT OUT to Mackenzie, Rachel, and Chelsea who I know read this...pretty sure I had a Big City Burrito wet dream last night...don’t judge me) Others, please excuse the graphicness. I also got an amazing head/neck massage from my tita today because she thinks I am overworked and it would help my sickness. Another funny thing, my Filipino family thinks I got sick because I go to bed with my hair wet at night, they think it attracts demons who wish to harm me…they have many amusing superstitions here.
I took a Tabo rinse off with my flips on ONCE and now EVERY time it rains, they suds up...embarrassing but efficient self cleaning mechanism???
Dan with Froggy Friend found in Classroom
Jeepneys - My social transport for longer distances

Trike - My standard form of transport


On another tangent, today, a few of the education volunteers partnered up with the community development volunteers around Subic to put on a Literacy camp for out of school youth ages 7 to 12. It was organized chaos because we expected 100 kids and 200 showed up, of course we could not turn any away, but overall it was a big success.  We had tons of four colored dot stickers that we used to split up the masses, and then had 4 classrooms with 2 of us in each, so the kids would rotate each hour and play a variety of games and exercises. The games my partner and I thought up worked so well with the different ages and English levels because we tweaked it a bit each time, and it was also prime Tagalog practice for us. The kids were a little bit more difficult to wrangle than most since they are not used to being in school or listening to authority, but they were all excited to meet Americans and to play our games, hope they learned a little something by the end. This week my schedule is finally more regular with mornings teaching at Subic High (2nd year = 8th grade for us, English class) and afternoon language lessons. Site placement interviews are happening Tuesday and this will be the only time when we can express our preferences on where we want to spend the next 2 years, who knows if these preferences weigh at all…but honestly I will be happy with wherever, even if I don’t get to sleep right next to the big bug-eyed tarsier monkeys. Oh! That reminds me, I saw my first monkey a few days ago! I was not sure there were even monkeys here, but indeed, I spotted a big ole brown baboon looking thing strolling down the street like he owned the place.

So more information, the “barangay” or village in Subic that I live in is called “Mangan-Vaca” which literally means “Eat-Cow.” (Chick-fil-a would have a fit, haha) Wow did this crack me up when I realized it, not quite sure why, besides that I am in a constant state of slap-happiness here, or maybe I am just losing my mind. We all are. I think it is because we need to laugh to keep from crying…ha. My group here of 10 volunteers have gotten very close since we spend soooo much time together, but 2 have also dropped out so far, it is essentially a Hunger Games to Staging (end of training when we become official PCVs and get our 2 year site assignments) Haha not really, but we have acquired a fair number of entertaining inside jokes. I wish I could explain them, but I do not think they would translate. Okay okay, I will try to share a couple. I guess to start off, when we first met the principal and faculty of Subic high, the principal said randomly to us all “We all got problems, but you think you got problems? Mary here’s got problems” Then, they each faculty member went down the row bringing up another person who’s “got problems” with everyone shaking their head and “Mmmm hmmming” and “I hear that.” All in broken English, gosh, I had to swallow my sobs of laughter, but of course, as I look back on it written out now, it is not nearly as funny. Oh well...  So now when things happen and we tell our friends we start with this. True story like today as I was talking to my friend Dan, I said quote “You think you got problems? I poured the last of my cereal into my powdered milk bowl, looked down, realized it was full of ants…ate it anyways…more protein…I got problems” Okay I will leave you all with that. There is also a very funny/depressing site for Peace Corps blunders around the world. Warning...sometimes explicit content! Click here if enticed...

No comments:

Post a Comment