Tarsier

Tarsier

Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Last of Cavite

Where to begin? The school visits were amazing and in so much better shape than I had expected. We visited 5 schools (2 elementary, 2 high school, and a college) and it was a whirlwind. The teachers were all so excited for us to be there, they all kept taking candid pictures of us and each principal prepared a speech to thank us for coming. I have never felt so much like a celebrity all day, or ever had my picture taken so much, consciously and unconsciously. One school even put on a big cultural spectacle of a performance where the students sang and danced, I could not believe it! It felt so nice for these people to put so much effort into making us feel welcome. It was such a big deal for them that we were visiting their school, even though we only got to stay at each for one hour! The only downfall was the heat. So. Much. Sweat. I honestly looked like I had just showered in my professional attire without drying off. No air conditioning at any Filipino schools combined with 60 students crammed in a tiny classroom is sweltering. The biggest problem is the over crowdedness, one school had over 4000 students and only 92 teachers, many students are squished together all day without a desk of their own. This is going to take some adjusting and countless sweat rags...





These visits also made me even wearier about teaching high school because of the advanced things they were learning! One class was even working on Chaucer! I guess Peace Corps thinks I am qualified…but we will see. We got a wee bit of time at each school to actually interact with the students, which was the most fun. They have so much respect for teachers and all stood up and chanted a rehearsed greeting every time we entered or left the room, it was so funny and unlike America. They also always stand up to answer and ask questions. At the first high school, three of us volunteers went into a classroom, introduced ourselves, and asked the students a few questions in Tagalog, and then we asked if they had any questions for us. One brave boy stood up (kids look so much younger here, so even high school look like youngins), and he looked directly at me and said in English “Ms. Alexandra, what is the key to preserving your beauty?” All I could do was laugh and blush, especially since I did not know what that question even meant, but it was pretty cute and the other volunteers were very amused. The students seemed so motivated, and I was very impressed overall. It is all becoming real now, and I feel like I was placed here instead of Mongolia for a purpose. Resources were definitely lacking in the technology, desk numbers, and library resources departments, but they are doing the best with what they have. I was also told that my school placement later on would not have as many resources as these schools do, so I am preparing myself for that. My language instructor also informed me that they were all on their best behavior and have probably been rehearsing the lesson plans for weeks to look good when we were observing. Even so, it was an impactful day, and I left with a belly full of “merienda,” Filipino snacks given to guests, we got a little something at each school.
"A Smile a Day Keeps the Pains Away!"
 We only have 2 more days here with our whole group until we split up, so the bonding is on overload. Yesterday was wonderfully emotional, the Peace Corps Deputy Director stopped by for a visit all the way from Washington, so we all had to dress snappy. Her speech was so genuine and beautiful; it made us all so proud to be a part of this Peace Corps family and had many people in tears. I just can’t wait until I get my actual 2-year assignment! We will each be in our own “barangay” or village for the 2 years, but we might be fairly close to another volunteer, all luck of the draw! I found out that my host family in Subic has multiple children, a guard dog, one person who speaks a little English, one bathroom/bucket bath, and about a 15-minute jeepney ride to town/internet. That is all they will tell me! I am a little nervous, but more excited to really get into it and start working at a school every day and enhancing my Tagalog lingo. The day after we arrive, we were invited to attend the city’s Flag Ceremony (don’t really know what that is) but we will get to meet the Mayor, it is a pretty big deal and none of the other groups get to. We are also meeting with some big wig from the Philippines Department of Education the day after that, another big deal. I am sure my next entry will be a good one!
Mangosteen, My One True Love
I got to eat my all time favorite fruit again today, Mangosteen, 3 years I have been without her sweet nectar! We had a lovely reunion. I also got shot twice more today with Rabies #2 and Typhoid…more to come. I also alsoooo created my first lesson plan today, for 8th grade (which they call 2nd year students here since it is the second year of high school.) I was assigned to do something within the broad category of reading comprehension. I planned out a pretty sweet presentation if I don’t say so myself. It was on similes, metaphors, and hyperboles, combined with my own version of educational Pictionary. My technical instructor, Sam, who will be the only one living in Subic with our smaller group, told me he was very impressed seeing that I have never taught before. That brightened my spirits, especially since I am afraid of him usually because he is so strict. AHHHHHHH, Karla and I’s blog session was just interrupted by our largest adversary yet. This sucker is huge, one moment please. BAM….no worries, back now, another one bites the dusk, death by flip flop. It just keeps getting more exciting here, haha. Oh yea and another thing, the volunteers here are dropping like flies, tonsillitis among other illnesses are going around. I think 8 people are suffering at the moment from something, but I feel like a million bucks for now! I am knocking on wood. A few people went into town today to see the new Batman movie, I guess movies come out here first for really cheap and test runs, booyah! Now we are just tying up all the loose ends, getting all of each other’s info since it is extremely cheap to text one another in country. We are not official Peace Corp Volunteers until we get sworn in after these next 2 months of training. “Swearing In” is a big deal and we will all get together again to switch from PCTs (trainees) to PCVs (official volunteers). Hooray!!! Wish me luck on the long journey up to Subic in the Zambales, my new home and family for the next 2 months!
The Intruder
Jeepney Drivers with their ride
Cozy Inside a Jeepney

No comments:

Post a Comment